Thursday, January 10, 2013

A fine line..

There is a fine line between the haves and have nots of this world.  I have not been one to elaborate on the injustices of this world because quite simply... as clear as it may appear to those who examine it from the fringes of society as complex as it is for them who struggle with the consequences of decisions resulted from these fine lines.

Yesterday morning along the path way from my home I was barricaded by a crowd of flustered individuals. As I hesitantly crept forward I noticed a body lying still on the hard stone pebbled road way. He appeared to be somewhere in his early twenties. His head was facing my direction and eyes were closed almost as if he were prepared whisper a secret to any prepared to listen. His arms were sprawled on each end but under his left side fresh blood gushed from his chest. He was finely dressed, almost as if dressed for church or some other celebratory occasion. About 10 feet to his left  lay a younger body. The neighbors claim it was his younger brother, dressed in matching attire with an gray ivy cap.

 I stood stunned.  It was not the first time I had viewed dead bodies before, but as I left for work it quite honestly was the last thing I intended to confront. Some members of the crowd screamed in despair. Other stood in anger, obviously troubled by the acts which had recently taken place. Varied tales were recounted- robbers had attacked them with knowledge of their visit to the bank, they were member of  gangs who lived not to far away from the area, shots were fired etc..  It all seemed like a blur.


I began to wonder how this news would be broken to these young men's family?. What dire reality could have motivated an individual to take their lives? To literally play God.  A scary reality, an unsettling reality- but a reality we live with everyday.

And yes, simply - regardless of what tale was true, we all know these stories to well. The media has left us desensitized . This was a story of a have and a have not.  Regardless of how little, how much more these two brothers actually had. The perpetrators decided it would be there final day. They had something someone envied. As I stared at the older brother's body, his lithe body gently closed eye lids, and perked lips ready to whisper a secret to any who would listen.
 ..


No comments:

Post a Comment